My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tall ships..

Imagine sailing across a rough Bass Strait, crewing on a tall ship, all while confined to a wheelchair. 

The Lord Nelson Jubilee Sailing trust is a registered charity that owns and operates Lord Nelson & Tenacious. These two tall ships are (only ones in the world) designed and built to enable people of all physical abilities to sail side-by-side as equals. 
They promote integration thru challenge & adventure while sailing on a tall ship.
Facilities on board the ships include wheelchair lifts between deck levels, a hearing loop, a speaking compass and hydraulic power-assisted steering.

During Kirsty's adventure she was teamed up with a 'buddy' who supported her through thick & thin. British & Australian ex serviceman/women were also on board facilitating their rehabilitation from previous military tours of duty; they were a wonderful support. (Even hoisting Kirsty up the mast in her wheelchair while anchored in the calm waters of pristine Port Davey)

Kirsty then took us on a tour of the boat, impressively navigating narrow passages & wheelchair lifts, like a professional! I loved the compact workshop, pictured above.
But definitely the highlight was watching the boys lower her backwards down the gang-plank with a beautifully executed bow line & lots of gentle strength.  
 
Her voyage was life-changing, extremely challenging and I'm sure friendships 
have been forged. See the link below to join the sail & change lives...





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!