My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Saturday, August 24, 2013

chook loads..

Our lil black frizzle must have given us the slip for possibly a week, when we finally found her today. I didn't notice her absence from the communal Chook Bailey. She'd happily tucked herself under the house next to the composting toilet & was sitting on a few eggs, or so we thought.. Smart really it's dark & warm. Unfortunately she has to be moved as it's not safe to be out at night. But the big surprise..she's sitting on 25 eggs and now she's not having a bar of them!!

2 comments:

  1. No, once you touch the eggs the chook says No! There's a theory that I heard that the mother hen turns the eggs and once moved has lost track of where she was. I don't know if it's true or not.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think it was a communal nest as the eggs were diff sizes/colours. They say on Backyard chickens that u must move them at night & you've got a better chance of success with a mother hen whose mothered before. Unfortunately with snake season just a week or so away, i couldn't leave her..feral cats & quolls were also a concern..

    ReplyDelete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!