My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Sunday, June 2, 2013

beyond anxiety & depression..

The MindSpot Clinic

Recently a friend phoned for guidance. Her husband wasn’t coping with day to day life and was becoming increasingly anxious, fearful & refused point blank to see his GP. 

I want to help, so firstly I look online for appropriate resources or possibly a helpful book. At least it may get the ball rolling, so he feels more confident or less embarrassed about seeking professional help. After seeing an advertisement on TV, I head to Beyond Blue’s website, ‘My name is anxiety’ YouTube video. It’s powerful stuff, and their other videos have kept me glued to the laptop, all night! Looking thru their website I click on the MindSpot link & a funny thing happens, I suddenly start thinking, about my journey with mild anxiety over the years. Previously I’ve careered in hospitality and learnt to foster my nervous energies to cope with those non stop 12 hour days. Fast forward on 25+ years & anxiety has become an unwanted mate that pops up from time to time, in varying strengths.

With nothing to lose; I click on MindSpot Clinic’s online screening assessment & express interest in their next Wellbeing (online) course. A few days later they ring to discuss the course criteria & if it would suit my needs. I take the plunge and sign on.

Well it’s now two weeks on and I can confidently say, it’s possibly one of the best things I’ve ever done for my self and I have my dear friend’s husband to thank for it!!…Don’t delay if you’re struggling, reach out & take that first step to a much easier way of thinking!!

*MindSpot is a free telephone and online service for Australians with stress, worry, anxiety, low mood or depression. They provide mental health screening assessments, therapist-guided treatment courses and referrals to help people recover and stay well.

*Anxiety disorders affect a person's mood, self-esteem, and quality of life. Many people with mild anxiety can still work, study, and have healthy relationships, but this is harder for people with moderate or severe anxiety. Anxiety often restricts what people do and when they do it. Many people become worried that they can’t control their anxiety, and may become worried that they will become isolated, lonely, or depressed. People with one type of anxiety often also have symptoms of another type of anxiety, and depression is also common. Unfortunately, because of their symptoms, many people with anxiety don’t seek help from health professionals.

some info & image from: www.mindspot.org.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!