My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Sunday, March 17, 2013

our DIY chicken coup..

..the cheap & cheerful way for 4+ bantams!

image

Take one old apple crate & halve. Collect oddments of tin, wood, chicken wire, a bolt & a hinge. Next step..trim the facade & add a tin roof only fastening it a 1/4 of the way.

Two homemade wire hooks are then added at the back so the roof can be lifted to check for eggs, then another hook is added to a post to secure it from above; then it won’t land on my head a second time!

image

The front hatch acts as a ramp by day & at night they can locked safely away from Quolls & feral cats! Because there’s no shady trees nearby we elevated the coup with a base of an old doggie trampoline we found at the tip shop. The girls love hiding under there away from harms way.

Well that was a satisfying few hours work!!!

1 comment:

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!