My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Friday, February 22, 2013

doggie duties..

This week we had a close call when a chick wedged itself between the netting & chicken wire, of it’s enclosure. The alarm sounded with some extreme squawking by the mother hen. I looked out the window to find a Grey Goshawk sitting on top of their home. imageBefore I had time to react, Zuki swung into action & chased off the hawk & positioned himself near the chick until we came over to push it back in. For the next two days the mother hen wouldn’t let her chicks roam unless Zuki was sitting protectively next to the cage. Zuki still sits for hours next to the cage whimpering while she tut-tuts back & I notice if he changes his position around the cage, she follow suit.

Zuki also likes to show off his ‘babies’ & today when a friend visited, he was met at the car by a very enthusiastic dog then herded over towards his chooks. Zuki was grinning & looking up for acknowledgement..It was a total crack-up!!

2 comments:

  1. That's so cute. We also had a grey goshawk sitting on top of the cage housing our then 8 week old chicks recently. There was no way he could get in, but very brazen nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear similar stories from lots of locals, guess they may get lucky sometimes!

      Delete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!