My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Friday, December 21, 2012

egg thieves%@!

Well it didn’t take too long to work out where all the eggs were going. I found a Currawong inside the nesting crate with it’s beak under our Blackie Bantam while she was in her cane basket, talk about cheeky! Two minutes later we saw the perpetrator flying off with something white in it’s sizable beak. The girls squawked for ages and who could blame them.

image

image

Great that means we have to net it! Our first idea was to use our black fine netting to cover it- Looks a lot tidier. Mr B opened the net & spread his arms wide & all hell broke loose. The girls thought a gigantic big black bird was now threatening them. Blackie flew up & out into the bush..terrific! Zuki & I went off in search of her while the net was promptly put away.

An hour later I had coaxed Blackie back into her yard, much to her relief & we started Plan B. The old fishy smelling orange netting was carefully dragged over without too much complaint, while Mr B made a lovely door out of old bits of wood.Two days on and with sore backs from bending but no money spent & their enclosure is impenetrable. Now there’s only spoggies pinching their food, but really who cares!

2 comments:

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!