My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Highlights of a brief Tassie road trip..

Heading up the middle to Longford from Hobart…

Campbell Town..Lake Leather. A huge array of locally made leather products. Lucky for me it was my birthday week & a present needed to be found..Cool!

Callington Mill Oatlands..Callington Mill- No surprise’s here. I trotted out with a 12.5kg bag of flour, semolina & oats. Gorgeous architecture, stunning local gardens & a few lovely spots for a sustaining cuppa. The Companion bakery goods were yummy but slightly pricey.

Brickendon Longford..Brickendon Estate- A world heritage listed site oozing with convict history, character buildings, majestic homestead & stunning gardens. It was a lovely way to pass a few hours wandering around the estate while reading the convict stories. Next time we plan to visit Woolmers, around the river bend, especially in Rose blooming season- Looked amazing!

Longford..Corner Paddock fruit & veg- Near the corner of Pateena & Illawarra roads we found this great roadie stop brimming with buckets of locally grown produce- I left munching delicious Meander Valley strawberries.Roadside stall

 

 

 

 

Longford to St Helens via Scottsdale..

Scottsdale Art gallery & cafe- A hub for local artisans with a great community vibe. This warm & welcoming space was perfect for our pit stop, we needed some coffee and ended up staying an hour plus buying a few pieces to take home. While there I grabbed a local tourist map showing four circuits drives, god there’s so much to see & do up here..very well organised too!

Derby looked interesting, I wanted to stop, but by now it was a total washout and driving times were extended due to the conditions.

Pyengana Dairy company- The dog was deposited at the dog parking station & we headed inside for lunch at their Holy Cow cafe. OMG it was the ultimate earthy, wholesome & down to earth lunch. We’re two fussy punters, but I couldn’t fault a thing. Fantastic friendly-efficient service and sensible prices. I finished off with one of their whopping homemade ice creams, while sitting in front of the fire! No wonder they were awarded No.9 by Australian Traveller Magazine’s, 100 greatest Australian gourmet experiences. (2010) I’ll be back to also check out the ‘pub in a paddock’ down the road.

www.pyenganadairy.com.au

 

 

 

 

 

St Helens is missed due to the persistent down pour, it’s raining so hard we can’t see the beach. Althou next day we do & they are totally gorgeous, plus there’s a whole coastline of more beautiful beaches around the next bend.

Bicheno..Pasini’s Local providore & cafe/wine bar. Yumm, another great pit stop for a snak & cuppa. I loved the service, vibe & eclectic set up of this cafe. Lot’s of locals too, always a good sign.

Somehow this lil adventure digressed to be about food??? Oh well, I’ll blame the weather but there’s always another trip..have fun it’s g8..

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip.
    The rose garden at Woolmers is definitely worth a visit.
    I was staying at Woolmers when it was first planted and I've enjoyed going back to see the progress over the years.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fantastic to see the rose garden from day 1, I think we'll be back up that way before the end of the year..we just loved it!

      Delete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!