My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

the Sunshine state??

..not today thou!

Day 1:

Last night I landed in crazy Brisbane, can this airport get any bigger! I had pre-arranged to pick up a car belonging to the house I am sitting, from a car-park near the airport. The airport is under construction so finding the departure point for the shuttle buses proves difficult, with a long hike dragging my over filled roller-backpack. Impatient, impolite people are my first shock.

Finally I’ve found the bus rank, departed & arrived 10 minutes later. But there’s just one problem, I’ve gone to the wrong car-park, why are there so many?? A few frantic phone calls later & fighting back the urge to cry, I figure it out. It’s now dark, but with my happy pleasant adopted Tasmanian disposition, one of the guys behind the desk takes my bag & walks me down the road to the next park. “You got lucky, these are the only two parks next to each other,” he says. I feel like hugging him! Now at the right park the girl decides to get the car out for me, cause I’m looking frazzled but I still manage a happy cheerful hello & chat. I’m on a roll, so I glean detailed instructions of how to find my hotel for the night. Ten minutes later, I’m dragging my backpack up two flights of stairs ready for bed at 7.30pm. It’s damp, warm, humid and the locals are rugged up like it’s winter. Not me thought, I have dragged out a t-shirt and sandals, but all I can think about is home and how great it is to live in Tassie…cold weather included!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very unsettling and unfortunately a bad start but I'm sure it will get better. Not the locals I'm afraid because it really is different living in Tas. While you will be able to engage them and they may respond positively one on one, as a pack they are insulated, self absorbed and stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it a shock to leave the Isle, the rest of Australia seems to be spiralling out of control. You're pretty spot on plus it seems to lack some depth??

      Delete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!