My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Monday, March 12, 2012

day out in Hobart..

Last Sunday I hopped on a bus to Hobart- Complaining about the lack of good public transport in the Huon will never change until we support it, so I did!

My first stop was the weekly Farm gate market in Melville/Elizabeth st carpark. Since a previous visit it’s grown & improved with new additions of quality primary producing stalls. Aware I’m on foot today, I purchase frugally, carrying a heavy bag of perishables isn’t food safe or easy- Next time I’ll be back for a big hunk of Elgar’s yummy cheese thou. After the market the city centre is dead quiet & mainly closed. Once again I’ve forgotten about the Sunday shop closures in Tasmania, bet a few tourists get caught out too!

The sun’s out for my wharf sit stop, while watching the boats go out. Salamanca is my next destination; it’s buzzing with families, tourists & outdoor diners. The Tassal shop is open & brimming with yummy products and Salmon. After serious consideration I buy a frozen cryovac hot-smoked salmon pack which they triple wrap with an ice pack, great customer service for my purchase. With time to spare I lose myself in galleries & arcades. The Spacebar gallery off Woobys Lane is today’s wicked favourite being fabulously full of groovy crafts, jewellery, clothes, shoes, purses etc. I love their Craft exchange shelf which has plenty of goodies ready to swap.

Wandering around Kellys Lane I spy an interesting art installation, go the Crows (not really, I’m a Port Power girl from way back)!!

P3110066

P3110067

Dr.Coffee down a Salamanca lane is deliciously hot, sweet & spot on- The best couverture hot chocolate in my world of late.

P3110069

 

 

But what’s that I hear, live music coming from St David’s Park. What the…is a Huskies picnic? Suddenly there’s a husky dog sled zipping past. Soon after all is revealed with a program in hand. Ok, we’re celebrating Roald Amundsen’s 1911 announcement from Hobart, that he’d previously reached the South Pole. There’s plenty of interesting Arctic events programmed plus the Tasmanian Museum-Art Gallery and Maritime Museum are holding exhibitions related to Amundsen’s trek thru March- Sounds really worth catching….oh and the live music was from the Royal Australian Navy Band. There’s something strangely surreal about watching impeccably white uniformed, short haired service people rock out the Foo fighters, and really well too!

P3150076

It’s 3pm, there’s still time to catch another bus to visit friends near Kingston..before I head back to the Huon after my solo day out…Love love loved it, althou I’m a bit beat!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day out.
    I saw some ladies getting on a bus today, and wondered if that will be me!
    Love the hot chocolate pic.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's always good to have some solo time to potter around without any time line or parking meter!

      Delete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!