My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Today..

I pottered in the garden. Nothing too active, just a bit of TLC, here & there. The poly tunnel’s ready for new Spring plantings, once we eat all the yummy bits inside!

P9250014

P9250013

Left: A bed of mixed greens, ready for table. Right: Loads of Fennel bulbs.

P9250012

My Native Pig face cuttings gleaned from a local beach, have taken off over Winter. After trimming I left them to dry on a tray near the wood heater- Around 2 weeks or until they’re shrivelled. Then I popped them into a pot of garden soil and watered them every once in a while. Pretty fool proof really..

If you're out picking pig face make sure you get Carpobrotus rossii with bright magenta flowers & not the invasive yellow flower Carpobrotus edulis pest.

P9250004

Lastly, I’m making 2lt’s of garden fertilising ‘Tea’.

Left: A few leaves of comfrey + rainwater. Right: Stinging nettles + rainwater. I’ll leave these to ferment in my garden shed for 2-4 weeks. To use, I usually dilute quite randomly with water, approx 100ml of ‘Tea’ per litre is my aim!!!

Why buy it when you can make it!

Happy Spring gardening..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!