My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

crystallising angelica..

Here goes nothing, I chop off my angelica plant & trot inside, ready to give it a go. P8240055

Step 1: Cut stalks into 10cm lengths & pop into a saucepan & cover with cold water. Bring to boil, drain & peel if stringy, then pat dry.

P8240058

Step 2: Weigh angelica layering into a container with 1/2 the weight of sugar sprinkled over. Seal & sit for 3 days.

P8240059 P8300065

Step 3: Place angelica and syrup (dissolved sugar) into a saucepan & bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover with lid & simmer for 10 mins, or until clear & tender. Drain, toss stalks in sugar to coat & place onto a drying rack. Oven dry @75 C for 1.5-3hrs or until just dried. Store in an airtight container.

Summary…Not bad for my first attempt, it has quite a strong earthy yet distinctive taste, more fragrant than shop bought. Yet it really reminds me of something I’ve drunk before. What was it?? OH NO! The essential oils from the roots & stem are used to flavour Chartreuse. ICK..I’ve only drunk Chartreuse shooters once in my life & it was once too many, with a monster hang over to match..ah well, looks like this may be bartered off, after all!!!

1 comment:

  1. After tentatively cutting the angelica down to ground level, a week later new growth is up & at em already..

    ReplyDelete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!