My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Lets do the time warp again!!

It's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right. Put your hands on your hips; and bend your knees in tight…….

I was lost for words & taken by surprise. “We’re having a High School reunion & wonder if you can attend,” said the caller. “But how did you find me,” I asked. No surprises there, they goggled me!

Over the years I’ve been dismissive of my education, pretty embarrassed even. Where I come from, going to an appropriate school is still, even now, a valid question when applying or even working in jobs. And I most definitely, didn’t go to the right school!!!

With a tinge of nostalgia, helped along by my faded school camp photos, I’ve been thinking..Was I too hard on my school? What has it given me? And then it hit me. My school was a cultural melting pot, of so many different nationalities, long before it was embraced in the wider community. My friends spanned every nationality & going over for dinner, usually rocked my world and tastebuds. Another lucky break came when I landed in a Polish speaking Year 10 home class. My classmates enthusiastically ate Polish food, so that meant I did too - Borscht & Pierogi are still firm favourites today!! Wow, how come I never saw the connection to my passion for multi-cultural foods..DAH!!!

It’s been a long time coming, but I finally feel proud of my school. I know it’s shaped me in ways, I previously hadn’t realised. The question remains…Will I go to the reunion? It’s a very long way from here, so I’ll see how it pans out.  But right now, I’m enjoying rekindling the odd friendship, after all these years!!

….But it's the pelvic thrust! That really drives you in-sa-a-a-a-a-ane! Let's do THE TIME WARP again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!