My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

vIntage reCipe..

 There’s a female Chef in every, known, generation of my maternal family tree. No surprise then, that I ended up in a kitchen.

The humble nutloaf, has been doing the rounds in my family for years. From my late Aunty Colleen, it took years of coaxing for her to divulge the recipe, funny thing that, she was as stubborn as moi!!

P7270027 Date Nutloaf

1/4 cup whole nuts

1 cup whole dates

1 cup boiling hot water

1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda

1 tablespoon date, apple syrup or golden syrup

1 very small egg

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 cup plain flour

Handful of dried mixed fruit- Sultanas or raisins best.

Method: Soak dates in hot water & bicarb for 1/2 hour. Mix everything together until a sloppy batter. Oil tin well, pile in & bake 175 C for 35 minutes. Turn out to cool on rack.

I had a serious collection of old nutloaf tins, but weaned them out before moving here & now I only have ONE!!! oopsy..

2 comments:

  1. I love nut loaf, but haven't made it for a while. Might do this again soon. I still have my two nut loaf tins from when I was first married thirty years ago and will hang on to them for a while yet.

    Have a nice day,

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tania, I spent a lot of time in the Flinders ranges as a kid, so it was great to find your blog..Don't let go of your nutloaf tins, hard to find down here!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!