My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Stinging nettle, zucchini & provolone risotto..

I’ve been patiently watching my stinging nettles grow. Today they’re finally getting the chop, with the secateurs & a good pair of gloves-you only make that mistake once! Time for some stinging nettle, inspiration. How exciting!

P4240208A friend is over, “Are you crazy eating them.” Well, actually no I’m not! Stinging nettles are super nutritious; with hi protein, vitamins & minerals to boot. Generally you could apply similar cooking techniques to the nettles, as you would for spinach. (Soup, fritatta, pasta, ravioli, etc) As for a recipe, it’s more a case of a bit of this & that, until nicely balanced. The final result is a stunningly clean, delicate, slightly grassy flavoured risotto that perfectly matches our accompanying glass of Sauvignon Blanc. It’s truly stunning & worth every effort!

Tomorrow I have plans to sauté zucchini, onion, cherry tomatoes, olive oil & toss in stinging nettles, just before serving. Stinging nettles lose their sting once heated or processed-PLEASE DON’T EAT THEM FRESH!

Got them growing at home, give them a try & reap the nutritional benefits…

Bon appetite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!