My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

DIY Passata..

..fresh tomato puree or more tomatoes & mess, than you can poke a stick at!!
P4110185
 Wash, quarter & hand crush the tomatoes. Add a touch of sea salt, then very lightly warm, to soften. This is an integral part of the process, otherwise it’s a pain getting the tomatoes to pass thru the passata machine. Believe me, you don’t want to go there!! In a few stages, pass all the tomato mix thru the machine- this is the first pressing.
P4110189

First pressing complete. Add basil to the seeds & skin refuse then pass thru the passata maker again. Place sauce into clean sterile bottles; simmer for 1.5 hours in a bain-marie- saucepan of hot water with a T-towel in the base. Make sure jars fit snugly into the pot, so they don’t clink & possibly break. Once heated the jars are sealed & sauce preserved. Dry very ripe sauce tomatoes, such as Romas, are best, but beggars can’t be choosers this year! Have fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!