My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A scaly bay-tree..

P2170020

A friend remarked the other day, “Your bay-tree has scale.” I hadn’t quite pin-pointed the problem, it just looked slightly black & mouldy. With some trepidation I goggled his suggestion of white oil, hoping it wasn’t chemical based. Surprise surprise, it was just oil & detergent, once mixed it goes white, daar, that was obvious.

White oil: 1/2 cup cheap vegie oil, 1/8 cup mild (uncoloured) dish detergent

Mix until white (emulsified) & dilute for use, 25ml to 1 litre of water. Place in a spray bottle, shake, generously spray all over & under affected plant–on a mild temperature day.

Apparently it suffocates the scale insects, that gather around joints, stems & under the leaves. The scale secrete honeydew on the leaves, attracting ants & also cause the sooty mould or black fungus to grow.

Looks pretty tragic but I have just sprayed it- I will wait with baited breathe for a result!

1 comment:

  1. Since writing this post I've discovered that by mixing a bicarb soda paste with a drop of eucalptus oil then with a toothbrush individually brushing each side of every leaf, works way better than white oil. It takes time but the tree struggles less & you're not left with an oily residue on the tree.

    ReplyDelete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!