My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Monk Sponsorship

Last week, there was this really horrible thought- had I forgotten to pay my monk sponsorship fees? Yep..I've missed the six monthly cut-off for payment transfer & there’s not a thing I can do about it. 

courtesy- www.monksponsorship.org

Five years ago, while at a meditation class, I notice an advertisement for sponsoring Tibetan refugee monks in India. It strikes a chord; I head home to research it further. Once online, there are numerous photos showing nuns, school children & young monks. A friendly face jumps out, his name is Chokyi. After reading his brief history, I send a payment to start funding his education- and promptly forget all about it. 

A month later, a hand written letter & photo’s arrive from India. His letter, on monastery paper, is beautiful, articulate & moving. What an unexpected bonus; I didn’t expect to feel connected.

Over the years, we’ve established a lovely rapport of written communication. Meanwhile the photo’s keep flowing & his letters always inspire me with beautiful advice & blessings. One day I hope to make the pilgrimage to India but until then I know I’m making a valuable contribution to Chokyi’s life & he’s making a valuable spiritual contribution to mine.

It’s a feel good experience- Monk sponsorship schemes start from $10 a month..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!