My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Friday, January 28, 2011

Zucchini abundance..

With a bounty of tasty zucchinis, it’s time to put on my thinking cap. Last year I feverishly preserved: pickled plus hot & sour zucchini relish mainly. But as yummy as these are; I want to try something different. So with a mix of large & small zuccs, I’ve scribbled a few ideas to workshop.
P1250036
  • -Zucchini fritters
  • -Potato & zucchini cakes
  • -Zucchini slice
  • -Stuffed zucchini (prep pictured & see  recipe tab for details)
  • -Spiced zucchini with mustard seeds
  • -Braised zucchini Provencale
  • -Zucchini risotto with lemon & purslane
  • -Zucchini cake
  • -Zucchini jam


STUFFED ZUCCHINI
around 700-800 g Zucchini-cut in 1/2 lengthwise
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 brown onion, sliced thinly
70g fine burgul
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
150g tomato 'passata' sauce
100g feta, cut into small cubes
fresh herbs:thyme, parsley, oregano etc
fresh breadcrumbs

extra virgin olive oil

Carefully scoop out zucchini flesh & chop coarsely.
Rub the zucchini halves generously with olive oil & season.
Lightly saute garlic, onion & zucchini pieces for a 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, sauce, burgul & cook for a further 5 minutes.
Remove from heat- season, add herbs & feta- mixing well.
Pile filling into zucchinis & sprinkle with loads of fresh breadcrumbs
& olive oil. Bake at 180 C for around 45-55 minutes.
Baking too long will cause the zucchinis to collapse & lose structure.
*try adding pitted olives or even semi-drieds (replace fresh toms)
            for a change of flavour.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I used to have a fantastic recipe for zucchini cake. All I remember is that it used oil and was delicious. Now where have I put it?

    ReplyDelete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!