My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Historic Richmond..

A weekend away, not far from home.

By-passing Hobart, we decide to lunch at Sorell Providore. A great shop fit-out, it’s slick & boasts an interesting wine cellar. Lunch is nice; quite simple with clean flavours but service today is very patchy.

It’s 2pm & with the Melbourne cup on our mind, we detour to the Richmond Arms Hotel. The pub is packed, all eyes are glued on the big screen TV. Amongst my handful of frugal bets I pick the winner..beauty!

PB030035Richmond Barracks is our base for the next two nights. The Cellar cottage has lovely attention to detail: it’s warm, comfortable & a short walk to the main street. My only disappointment are the continental breakfast provisions. With Tassie’s abundant local produce our basket is full of mass produced & highly processed foods. Pity, I guess we’re a bit spoilt on Huon Valley produce.

Walking around Richmond, the history is evident. We love the beautiful heritage architecture, river walking tracks & stunning colourful gardens. Small enough to see on foot, we check out a few local hot spots. The Tasting House stocks Tasmanian goods from small local boutique suppliers. I look longingly at the Tasmanian Gin-we choose a local Pinot, olive oil & honeycomb instead. Peppercorn Gallery on Bridge street-the Peppercorn Artists group sell their diverse wares under one roof. It’s a great concept, I cannot leave without buying a little something special. Richmond rocks..we’ll definitely be back…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!