My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bread-making..

A few months ago I felt my bread-making could do with some tweaking. I borrowed this library book & later purchased it online.

From:www.fishpond.com.au

I admit, I look for quite technical cookbooks after doing more than a few decades commercially, I’m pretty fussy. Having said that, I’m no baker so this book ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Highlights include: Sourdoughs, baguettes, cibatta, panettone, fruit & rustic breads of endless varieties. No bells & whistles here, just good factual recipes plus good background information on working with a variety of starters.

All this bread-making was before Cygnets recent bakery take-over. The Yoyo bakery is pumping out fabulous loaves made from locally grown & milled flour direct from Oatlands-Callington mill. The dedicated yoyo crew are using Tassie produce where possible & making everything from stollens, danishes, poppy-seed pastries & other sweeties of a distinctly European flavour. Cygnet now has one of the best bakeries around, taste & texture mean something, plus the Pies are really excellent too…Checkout Yoyo soon, you won’t be disappointed..

2 comments:

  1. I have heard about the German heritage of the baker at Yoyo, but have never got there early enough in the day to benefit! I love a good German rye loaf and pretzels... yum. You've inspired me to do an early morning trip to the other side of the river :-)

    And thank you so much for your extremely kind and generous support of my Kosciusko walk and the Australian Himalaya Foundation. I am very humbled, and excited about the trek. Promise to report back with lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute pleasure Susan, it's a cause close to my heart. I look forward to viewing the results of your amazing walk. How fantastic that you can do that..good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!