My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

When the going gets tough..

Bring in the big machinery..and we did.

PA130010

It’s an early start with a solid day of landscaping ahead. The objective; is to make a decent fire break & 4WD access tracks all around the block. We have strong memories of Ash Wednesday & take bushfire risk seriously. It’s been raining all night and the ground is soggy but not unmanageable. Our excavator operator of choice has been doing work for us for years, he’s highly skilled, efficient & gets an amazing job done, every time.

PA130014

Sitting on the deck watching the action, he yells for me to come over. “I’ve found a nest of baby tiger snakes,” he says. No way, there’s five wriggling baby snakes only a hundred metres from the house. The baby snakes are pale & have stripes just like a tiger. So that’s why Zuki’s been sniffing down here for the past month. While we decide on a plan of action, (tiger snakes are protected) nature steps in & our two resident Kookaburras dispatch the snakes one by one. They’ve been following the excavator every step of the way. With Zuki’s very playful & inquisitive nature, the excavation has just paid for itself.

PA130017The rest of the day goes to planPA130026. Tracks run in every direction & a new cut is made for my proposed glass house. I think we’ll stand a chance if a fire comes through. It’s been awhile since the last one, judging by our old burnt out trees…

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you got lucky there with those kookaburras! Must get us some of those :-)

    ReplyDelete

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!