My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Walk in the Huon…

Today I’m craving a walk. I still struggle with the concept of driving everywhere. In my previous urban life, I rarely drove. 

So what’s stopping me from taking a daily country walk:
  • Snakes-I’ve seen more crossing the road than I’ve seen, full stop.
  • Narrow roads-having to walk on the road, especially on blind bends.
  • Steep uneven road edges-I worry about getting safely off the road.
  • Flat out country drivers-in the minority, most drivers politely slow.
  • Weather-how many layers do I need to take with me?
The Huon council has been busy trimming & grading the vegetation on the road edges. They’ve done a great job, visibility is very much improved.

But there’s another great concept that isn’t being embraced in the Huon Valley…off-road bicycle riding tracks. I’m seeing more & more bicycle riders braving it on the main roads. Without designated tracks or riding lanes, it’s still far too dangerous. Our riding track of choice is the beautiful Pipeline Track on Huon Road near Ferntree. There’s also the added bonus of a Tavern & General Store; for a knock-off beer, or in my case ice-cream, after a sweaty ride. Part of this vast track contours around Mount Wellington & affords breathtaking views, to the water in the distance. It’s an exhilarating ride or walk..a must do.

With more ‘self-contained’ tourists, touring Tassie & bringing their own bikes, it'd be great if we had local Nature trails & riding tracks, to safely ride & walk on. After all, the Huon is rich in natural unspoilt beauty & be lovely to share it.  

Ferntree Community site: Walks around Ferntree..an impressive online resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!