What can you do with carob?
- Carob smoothie-for one person vitamise a frozen peeled banana, milk, yoghurt, carob powder & honey to taste. The secret to a great textured smoothie is pre-freezing the fruit.
- Cakes-carob together with dates or raisins is a divine match.
- Carob & oat biscuits-make with carob syrup or powder.
- Quail & carob is bellissimo. Marinated the quails in a small drizzle of carob syrup, EVOO & BBQ or lightly panfry.
- Carob & almond brownies-use powder & carob chip pieces.
- Carob pancakes/crepes, slices & bliss balls.
- Bread making-adds flavour & colour to wholemeal or rye breads.
EVOO: extra virgin olive oil…
CAROB, ALMOND & RAISIN FUDGE CAKETTES
Bake 180C/12-15mins.....Makes 8-10 mini cakettes..(use muffin tray)
120g organic butter
160g syrup (maple, rice or barley malt etc)
2 large eggs
2 cups organic plain flour
dash of vanilla paste or vanilla bean seeds
1/2 cup carob powder
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup organic yoghurt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or cassia
1/4 cup sliced almonds-used as garnish
Line muffin tray with greaseproof paper rounds to
stop the bases sticking. Spray well or lightly oil.
Cream butter, syrup & vanilla well. Add eggs slowly &
continue to mix. Mix carob & hot water to a paste. Add
the paste to egg mix along with all ingredients except
almonds & raisins. Fold in raisins & fill moulds to 3/4 mark
& stud with almonds. Bake.
Serve warm with vanilla infused yoghurt...