My photo
Restless by nature, on a whim I blew off city living and my career, to try my hand at a simpler-slower life in rural Tasmania. It's going to be one heck of a learning curve..join me as I find my feet, fingers crossed!

Friday, July 23, 2010

A Wild Life..

The first thing I notice with our country move; is the peace & quiet. My ears are ringing. Funny, life can feel a bit unsettling at times.
It's the little things that catch me out. Like the deep stillness and the darkness. I'm outside tonight. I see stars, loads of stars & the country side is lit with the full moon.

Then there's the weather. 
Did I never notice it, oh, i remember I was watching it on TV...
In rural Tasmania, you can't ignore the seasons. If it rains, we've got water.
Come winter, there's often ice on the road. When it's blowing, we watch for falling dead trees.

From spring & any month with an "R", the snakes are more common. Last summer, I spotted 2 tiger snakes near the house, I noted their location & thankfully never saw them again. I much prefer the slow, sleepy & blue tongue lizards that laze on our gravel driveway in the midday sun.
Sitting outside, four echidna's come out from under the house, a mum with 3 babies. They fall, climb logs, roll & waddle down the embankment in front of me. It's pretty cute stuff maybe they need "L" plates!
My bird watching list has hit 50. The birdbath is party central, birds fighting for poll position. A birdie day spa with valley views..Hmm...maybe I could market this..just joking!
 
All in all, we've acclimatised to country living pretty well. Community, people & connections all mean something here.Our interstate friends chuckle, they know we've left it behind. City living now seems so far removed. Fondly, I remember my city clothes, slick haircuts & energetic frenetic pace. It's been replaced with gumboots, beini's & op shop clothes.

The pace is slow, going out is a chore, then again why would you living here. 
I'm definitely in my natural element, living a seasonal, organic life!
And for a change, I'm not watching it on TV....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sneaky Advertising will be deleted!